Tuesday, December 15, 2009

P.S. In case you didn't already know...

I forgot to mention that I'm brilliant in that last entry.
I realized a week or so ago that my fictional husbands weren't really doing a good job in getting rid of unwanted Romeos. I had some fun with it for a while (I was married to a French movie star for a while, etc.), but it wasn't working and it was hard to keep my stories straight. Plus, all this lying made me feel really sick and crazy (but, it was better than the craziness I'd have to deal with if I identified myself as even remotely available: now that will make you crazy). One day in Alexandria, I decided to try something new. I told a waiter who was hassling me about wanting to see my eyes that I was married to an Egyptian man. It worked, and has continued to work 100% of the time. It's started not only getting people to leave me alone, but I'm actually getting respect. I haven't totally fleshed out his back story yet (his name's Tariq, but that's pretty much all I know). But, so far the name and the fact that he's Egyptian has gotten me pretty far. It's made getting through certain moments in my day so much easier!!
I was feeling a little depressed that I was going to have to divorce my Egyptian husband when I get to Jordan: but I realized I can just change his nationality when I get the next visa :).
Note to self: when visiting a foreign country, always bring Neosporin and a local husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment